Friday, March 16, 2012

Under Attack

On Tuesday, Anna was admitted to Northeast Georgia Hospital after I took her to the pediatrician because she was lethargic and refusing to eat.  The next morning, they transported her to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta because they wanted specialists to see her and review her case.  After sending in the infectious disease doctor and the hematologist, the doctors have given us a diagnosis for Anna.  We are thankful to have an answer, but unfortunately, the diagnosis affects both of our girls.  They have antibodies that are attacking the white blood cells in their bodies (specifically the neutrophils).  These are one of two types of antibodies: 1) I produced the antibodies while pregnant with the girls and passed them on to them ("antigranulocyte antibodies").  If this is the case, the antibodies will continue attacking their white blood cells for the next 9-12 months or so before they die off completely.  OR 2) They have "congenital neutropenia" which means their bodies are producing the antibodies.  If this is the case, it is a permanent condition that we will have to deal with their entire lives. They have taken blood samples and have sent them off to test for certain genetic markers that will tell them which situation we are dealing with. Since the white blood cells are your first line of defense when fighting an infection, the girls are very susceptible to any bacteria or virus.  In fact, Anna had what began as a pretty minor ear infection and it landed her in the hospital!  She is doing better, but now has a cough and has developed a mild case of RSV.  We are grateful because it could definitely be a more serious diagnosis, but are saddened that they will have to be secluded for the next several months at the very least. 

On top of it all, Anna's hearing test confirmed that she has profound to severe hearing loss in her left ear and moderate hearing loss in her right ear.  They will repeat the test in 6 weeks to see if any of the fluid she has in her ears from being sick is affecting the test results.  The audiologist did say that she didn't think that the fluid was affecting the results from her left ear.

We are exhausted and have a bit of information overload, but find peace resting in the reassurance that God is in control and that He has both of the girls in the palm of His hand.  Please continue to pray for us and our sweet babies...we covet your prayers.

I know it looks like she is yawning here, but she is actually moaning...poor sweet baby!





Anna with her "boxing glove" on...it is her IV wrapped in a diaper so she can't hurt herself when she hits her face:)

On Thursday night, Staci came all the way to visit.  She stayed with Anna while Phil and I went to a quick dinner and then she stayed with me and Anna all night so Phil could go home and sleep!
All snuggled in for a nap:)
Mimi, Aunt Katie and Aunt Melissa sent Anna a surprise!
The bear is from Mimi, Aunt Katie, and Aunt Melissa and the Lamb is from Bobby and his family (a friend of Phil's from work)...and of course her princess blanket from Miss Staci!!

5 comments:

  1. I love you sweet ANNA and Kate! Anna, u better get better really soon! your sissy and mimi miss you terribly! I miss you too precious girl and love you so much and am praying for you! God does have you in the palm of his hand and I DO TRUST that! I love you girls!! Mare and Phil, I love you too and am praying for you! IT hurts my heart that i cant be there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you guys with all my heart!! Praying constantly for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps. in the pic with phil and anna…looks like she is sticking her bottom lip out…kinda cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm aching for you guys... Praying lots and lots. Our God is a miracle worker and Lord we ask you to heal Anna quickly and completely and also Kate!!

    ReplyDelete