This past Monday, 9 days after having the girls, I went back to work. Before you think horrible thoughts...let me explain. At the beginning of all of this, I had 8 weeks of sick days stored up to take my leave when the girls were born. I am allowed to take 12 weeks (and plan to take 12), but I will only get paid for the number of sick days I have. When the girls came early and the doctors told us they would be in the NICU for several weeks, I was really discouraged because I figured that up to half (or even more) of my maternity leave would be spent before the girls were even home from the hospital. After crying to my mom (gotta love those post-pregnancy hormones) and praying with her, I called one of the AP's at school and she recommended I talk to our bookkeeper who is in charge of and familiar with how long-term leave works. I called her from the hospital and she got in touch with the HR department at the Central Office. To make a long story short, I only used 5 sick days for the week after the girls were born and I will still get to take 12 weeks of leave once the girls come home from the hospital! Going back was extremely difficult because I only get to see the girls once a day instead of whenever I want. It was also physically and emotionally draining. However, there is a light at the end of the tunnel with Christmas break only 5 days away and the knowledge that I will get to spend so much time at home with the girls before going back to work in the Spring:) I thought I had things all planned out, but God's timing is perfect and He continues to teach me that daily!
One thing that has made going back to work a little bit easier is knowing that there are people who love our girls going to visit them every morning! Susan from church went to visit them on Monday. She has been so excited about the twins and she absolutely LOVES them. She is such a blessing and we are so thankful that she is willing to spend her morning at the hospital with the girls. On Tuesday, Aunt Melissa and Denise (from church) went to visit with the girls. It is so special that Melissa is willing to take time away from her own children to love on ours! On Wednesday, Charlotte (the girls' surrogate grandma...since they don't have one close by) spent the morning with the girls. Even though I want to be able to spend all day with the girls, I am so thankful for these ladies and their willingness to sacrifice their time to hold and love Kate and Anna!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Praying for you every day…you are so strong!
ReplyDeleteThat must've been a tough decision, but that's great you'll get to have so much time at home with them!
ReplyDelete