At 2:00 this morning, I woke myself up as I felt like I was peeing the bed. I jumped out of bed (well, as best as I could "jump" out of bed) and waddled to the bathroom. After soaking a towel, I woke Phil and called my mom and sisters. I finished packing my bag and we headed to the hospital.
After arriving and checking in, the nurse checked my progress: 1 cm and 90% effaced. (Side note, this particular nurse happened to be the mother of a student of mine!) They called the doctor and he had them start me on magnesium to stall my labor and gave me a steroid shot to help the girls' lungs. After about an hour, my contractions were getting closer together and becoming more intense. I called for the nurse and when she checked my progress I was already dilated to 4 cm and was 100% effaced! So much for stalling my labor!!! The doctor came and we discussed the options for delivery since Kate was still breech. We decided that a c-section would be the safest route and I was whisked away to the operating room.
 |
| These contractions are kind of painful! |
 |
| Daddy is ready for the OR...doesn't he look sexy in those scrubs! |
Shortly after (at 6:37 am), Anna Elise arrived weighing 3 lbs 14 oz and was 17 in long. Kate Linley was right behind her (at 6:39 am) weighing 3 lbs 11 oz and was also 17 in long. They are absolutely GORGEOUS!
 |
| There goes Anna! |
 |
| Anna...our "big" girl! |
 |
| Kate...our "little" one! |
Kate and Anna are in the NICU, but are both breathing on their own and doing very well! They will most likely have to remain there for 6-8 weeks, but we are hoping to bring them home by Christmas:) Thank you for all of your prayers today for our new precious gifts. Please continue to pray for them as they grow and develop and pray for us as we must go home with overflowing hearts, but empty hands. I know that it will be a difficult transition for both of us.
 |
| Daddy is already infatuated with them! |


We have already had lots of visitors and can't wait for even more in the next few days (we are very proud parents and can't wait to show off our girls! John and Becky were our first visitors this morning - thank you for all of your love and support, you always make us feel like family and we are so blessed because of you! We love you!!! Next, Kate and Anna's Pop (Phil's dad), Uncle Robert, and Aunt Robin came by to meet the girls! As soon as I called my mom (at 2 am), she booked a flight and was here by lunchtime. Phil's mom also hopped in the car and got here about 10 minutes after mine. I was able to get into a wheel chair and take them to see Kate and Anna. I even got to hold Anna! It was so sweet to be able to spend the day with Mimi and Nana. Later in the day, my friend Meghann stopped by and it was so great to sit and chat with her...an expert on having NICU babies, since her twin boys were there for several weeks when they were born. Thanks for coming Meg...I love you!
 |
| Daddy and Pop |
 |
| Uncle Robert, Pop, Phil, and Aunt Robin |
 |
| Nana is admiring her first grand babies! |
 |
| Mimi is admiring grand babies #11 & 12!!! |
Things began to wind down early as we (as well as many family members) have been up since 2 am. Hopefully we can both sleep well and wake up refreshed tomorrow.
FABULOUS!!! I love them, love them, love them!!! I wish I was one of those visitors today, Mare! We are so sorry we aren't there!
ReplyDelete(and don't you ever call my niece a "big" girl)
I am in LOVE!!!!!!!!!! And I am so proud of you Little SIS!!!! I can't wait to see them oh so very soon!!! I LOVE YOU MARE, PHIL, ANNA, and KATE!!! Love, Auntie Katie
ReplyDeleteI have to look at these every hour or so. I'm overwhelmed with how much I love the collier family. I cant wait to come home and see you guys!!!
ReplyDeleteWe are so proud of you and Phil!!! Your first delivery, by yourselves, and you toughed it out like pros!!! I guess Anna and Kate didn't want to wait to meet everyone, so they made their own delivery plans :) We love all four of you and can't wait to see you and meet the little ladies!! I cried when I found out you guys delivered because I was overwhelmed with how wonderful our family and friends are and how very thankful I am for you all, and I just couldn't hold in my joy!!! We will be sending our thoughts and prayers to have those girls at home, happy and healthy by Christmas. We love you guys!!!!
ReplyDeleteLove auntie Erica and uncy Matt
What an amazing journey with two gorgeous and extraordinary gifts at the end! I'm in awe at how calm and peaceful you both look during the delivery. We're keeping you guys in our thoughts and look forward to seeing more pics of your beautiful family. :)
ReplyDeleteWow! What an amazing gift just in the time for Christmas! So happy for you guys! Praying for a quick recovery for you and that your girls will get to come home soon. They are beautiful!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful girls! Congrats. I'll be praying that you get to take them home soon! (and thanks for all the blogging! I'm loving all the pics of them) :-)
ReplyDeleteYour babies are beautiful! Congrats and prayers be with you as you venture into the wonderful world of parenting!
ReplyDelete